Saturday, November 26, 2016

11.26.16 Ut-oh......Game, set, match?



     So yesterday my plan came together pretty well. For the most part, almost all of the part, I have no cell phone or radio network of people telling me where's it going at that moment. Later that night or the next day, yes, I do have have friends. But I am not part of a crew in that regard. So, any successes of finding my own fish makes it that much cooler. Yesterday was like that. 

     Last night Theresa and I had Joe and Suzanne over for a real nice dinner. Of course fishing came up, and the question, "Where you going tomorrow?". After telling my day story we decided to hit the boat, and I am glad we did. Even though it was Saturday and nice weather I was down. 

     We were at the ramp at 530 and was underway just as light arrived. Our first stop was the Hook and found northing so we went to Coney Island to snoop around. Not finding any birds or bait I made the call to head north into New York Harbor. It was really cool to be looking for bass around the Statue of Liberty and amongst the huge ships anchored up and traversing the channel. 




      We found some birds picking here and there and Joe saw a couple swirls so we stopped and started the drift on the outgoing. We had to be aware of the endless Staten Island Ferries that seemed to come every 10 minutes. I had a tug, a couple of guys trolling pulled a short, but it was quiet. 



     In the distance a large tanker was pulling into port and I could make out, by contrast, a ton birds against the black ship. As we neared closer it was a repeat of yesterday. Tons of birds first followed by bait showing and then nice sized bass on them. Well, today, we found the birds, and the bait was marked, but the bass? I almost wonder if it is over!!! 



     Joe and I found them and soon other boats did as well. Joe was the high hand and the pool winner with a 19, 19 incher. The average of our dozen fish was 17 inches. That is not good. You know what that means when the little guys start making their first migration, they're usually at the back of the bus. Yes, I know about the herring, and another body of fish, and sand eels, and I called it wrongfully a month ago. But, guys, she has started singing. The peanuts will pull the fish south, and there's nothing else to hold them here. I said it, I own it. 

                                               



     So besides the tiny fish, the seals are now here, that usually scares the bejesus out of the bass. Below are some images of the recent catches from Leif after the all out blitzes on the beaches. These are the mid to late December micros following the bigger ones. Look at the size, now I love all bass, especially young ones, but look at the last picture and the size of the bass and of the lure.

Photo by Leif Peterson
Photo by Leif Peterson
                           
                                                                                 Photo by Leif Peterson

     This week I saw something funny on social media. It made me laugh but today I pulled the 
boat. See the Atlantic Highlands Marina shut off all their water so I have to take my boat to Long Branch on Route 36 to give her a good bath and then swing by my house to flush the motor, then go back to the marina. With, "It being over", and seeing the micros today and being caught on the beach, I am okay with my decision. I have paid my spring commission fees already and am boat #9 to be in the water the first week of April. Cold water bay and river fly fishing here I come, April 2017.