Saturday, November 20, 2010

11.20.10 Beautiful morning, no fish Deal to Manasquan


     I was excited last night thinking this morning may be good. Saw some reports that were promising. Scheduled to go out of Shark River and fish the shore north an south of the inlet. I spoke with Joe who was taking me out, we looked at the NOAA site, S wind, possible big seas, small craft advisory....mmmm. So we decided to take a raincheck on the outing. Thursday late afternoon 2 miles out he had a bunch of fish, stripers and blues, ripping through big bunker. From what I gather there is a large streak of bunker running off the beaches. It may have come in to Mantoloking and Seaside over the last few days. This morning I was out in Deal at 515 am. S to SW wind had things pretty much flat, a few birds here and there. I just wasn't feeling it from the moment I stepped on the beach. I strapped on my korkers and headed out to the end of Phillips...nothing. By the time I left there were about 15 guys spread around with not a fish to be seen. Went down to Asbury Park, zilch. Then traveled through Belmar and Spring Lake...yawn. In Sea Girt a guy saw the bunker off the beach, our of Ava and power pro range, and caught a short. I went down to the inlet and found a small group of guys from Bayshore Flyrodders who didn't see anything this morning, and were thinking of hitting Deal before going to the Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset today. 

     I am going to pop in here and there on the beach this weekend, but I thinbk I will travel south Monday and check out the Island Beach State Park area in the afternoon.