Wednesday, September 18, 2013

09.18.13 I guess a fitting fish for the full moon and a sky full of stars.....



     Not really what I had in mind tonight. With the boat washed and the gear ready for the next trip wht else was there to do tonight. I hit the flip of the high tide around 8 o'clock. The full moon tide was high but flat. I didn't over think fishing as I just figured I'd cover some beach and head home. I kept my Snake Fly on wondering if the illumiNation from the bright moon would work fine, that way I wouldn't have to go to black or purple.
      Just as I was ready to call it a night I went tight, heavy tight. I knew it wasn't a bass but was hoping it was a doormat fluke that would feed my gang of six for a week. What it was was a lovely Northern Stargazer. The Stargazer's scientific name is Astroscopus guttatus means "one who aims at the stars" and guttatus translating into "speckled"- referring to the white spots on the fish's back (Wikipedia).
     These fish are heavy, and even heavier, when they burrow themselves in the sand after you hook them and after they are landing at your feet. They will just disappear in seconds. Be careful as they have electric organs on their topside originating behind their eyes.