Monday, May 23, 2022

05.23.22 Skunked the last two trips....


     Was tired from the weekend and with work early this morning....let's go fishing. Hit it 10 pm to 1am. Zigged when I should have zagged. Had a good plan but by the time the last part was executed I had missed the ebb too late. I made some long casts and had three takes, one good one, but I missed all three. The humidity was about 200% and you could cut the air with a knife. There wasn't


any wind until the end so my trusty can of Repel was in order, or else I would have got eaten alive. Below was my go to fly, but also threw a popper was this way to heavy for the line I had on. 


     Made it work with plenty of rest. First office work for both jobs and then seeing patients. After work I hit it again. One thing, just because you have access to a boat doesn't mean the fish will just jump on in. There's something nice about wade fishing, which is my favorite. Once you are able to cover SO much more water, I think you do it less than effective, unless you're dialed into a spot. 


     For me a boat gives me the ability to get to additional spots to wade. Anchoring up in big water and trying to throw a fly, and then forget about landing it, most of these boat anglers pick up anchor and give chase, no thank you, I walking them down on the vaseline covered rocks. 

     Today I had about a half a dozen hits, swipes, tail slaps, but none would commit. Sad, as one was a nice fish that I saw get pised off at my fly and take a jab at it. There's still good fish here, my homeboy network keeps me filled in, and they are doing well, put have, and continue to put a lot of time in. You can have all the intel in the world, you still have to make it happen.