Wednesday, May 11, 2022

05.11.22 "They're all too big...."



     First time in three years I broke out the fly rod down in Cape May. I am glad I did. Talked to some guys. Asked how's the fishing, "Not too good, they're all too big". Mmmm, doesn't seem like a problem, but these guys are looking for something for the table. Seems like last Thursday before the blow things got good, fish mostly all over 40 inches on bunker. I gave it a go two times, blanked both times. Wish I had the time to stay and get a little dialed in. The winds down there, well, were 


just as sporty as up here. ENE blowing from 25 to 40 mph. Water was off color, but I was told the Delaware Bay gets like that and the fish hit plugs in it. I think with the fly you'd have to drag it across their nose to get a bite. Had the top of the tide both times and the coolest thing was watching 


the dolphins patrolling and working the bunker pods out at the front of the jetties. It's a cool place to fish, and I will be hopefully learning more each time I go. Besides striped bass the weakfish bite is pretty good I am told. I felt I was in Martha's Vineyard, especially when the Cape May- Lewe's Ferry came by.




      As we neared home I looked over at the river, and it looked like it was back to normal. It was the dropping tide so I it was time to break out the waders and hop some rocks. It was a 60 foot cast 





to reach behind the abutment and it was a few strips in before a quick retrieve to avoid getting snagged. I donated two flies with the 350 gr line, but thats's the game you play. All three fish, along with a few other hits, came just as the fly hit the water and it was stripped down to submerge it. Again, it was about a 5 second window before the next cast was needed. My fish below was a male, and he let his sperm go as I released him. I think there is still some late spawning going on. There's a 

local guide up here, Bass Chasers Charters, who is about as dialed in as you cane be. Years of experience and he is always on the river. He had a 30 + fish day, and he found some of the big girls I was talking about. Below is one of his happy clients from today. Still some fun to be had.