Saturday, May 7, 2022

05.07.22 No chewin' in the rain....



     Left work in Belleville at 11 pm and wondered all the way home what yesterdays rain had done to the river. If it looked good, and with Theresa and the beasts down in Cape May, it might be the night to pull an almost all nighter. You, know, fish chew good before the storm. And the storm started Friday, Nor'easter, strong winds, 30-50. mph, and a steady soaking rain. But the fish are already wet, so let's go!


     By 2 am I was on the river, just minutes after dead low. Steady cold rain but it was worth the hour or so soaking inching my way out, way out, to catch a seam or channel that might hold fish. Meanwhile I was in contact with fellow-striped-bass-mental disorder-friend Joe who was just finishing up the 1-1/2 hour trip to Brigantine, "Because that's where the big fish are", and you know, big fish bite in the slop, or so they say. For some strange reason I had some good confidence going 

last night, no doubt foolish confidence. With every good cast in and between and around the wind I expected a bite. But I figured I needed some water to get the fish moving up and into their feeding lanes. Luckily there's a WaWa right near there so I was able to get a coffee and a snack before taking an hours nap waiting for the water. When I woke Joe was doing the same in his truck behind me, 


and luckily we weren't in the same vehicle because if the police came and checked on us we would look like we were either cracked out or in a relationship. When I woke and checked the river was up and the clarity was perfect, not gin clear, but not stained. But that point I was matured to the bone and my skeleton was cold. But we did an hours grind both without a tap. I've never been so happy 

as when I got into bed at 530 am and got some warmth going and some much needed sleep. But I woke in a panic, 715, just on the start of the outgoing, perfect. So I hit a different spot which hasn't produced a bass for me all year. The water was just starting to get off color, in the bigger current, but again I thought I could catch a seam or something behind a rock, looking to chew in the slob. The winds had kicked up overnight and the rain began to fall. I worked it for about 45 minutes before throwing in the towel. The big question ow is, will this get the migrating fish to turn tail and 


 head to the salt. My thinking is the major spawn is over, the weather gives them a reason to split, so now its time to start thinking a rod a little lighter than the 12 weight and working the pockets and top water for the males and residents that stick around after what was a fantastic spring 2022. Hopefully we will have good recruitment numbers from the 2022 years class.