Sunday, May 15, 2022

05.15.22 Love when a plan goes together.....


     She's 40 inches, plus a few lines on the ruler, we measured her before her release, but there's better than that from today. Hit the tide to early and had to do some basket-was-vertical-on my-chest wading to get to a spot. Last night I put together a popper, a mix of old and new school. Well, after getting in position 


and on my third cast I had little blow up way out on a long cast and on the swing. Made me happy to have it go down like that. Fished hard on the drop and had guys to my left and right catching throughout the morning. I can tell you this, none of them caught a fish in fly rod range. 


     The fish, which I am going to assume are now post-spawn and are hear to eat herring have been active. They like the big water, they like guys who make long casts, or troll, and they like shads, SP Minnow's or Tsunami sand eels bounced along the bottom. The big fish at the top of this post, not mine, but I did make my over to the angler as he fought and landed it in case he needed help. Some photos for him, a quick tape measurement and she was on her way. I then stayed too longblew my arm out again trying to get in that zone, but they didn't happen. 

     After a quick nap it was back for the top of the tide. Pretty afternoon. 100 casts this time. Not a tap. Trying to get dialed in with the fly rod on the Delaware. Not an easy task. I'm starting to think spey rod, but how would you manage all that line in such quick current?