Tuesday, July 26, 2022

07.26.22 Real nice trip to the ADK's...



     Had a real nice long weekend up at my sister and brother-in-laws place up in the ADK's. They live a short walk down to Lower Saranac Lake and the cooler temps up there were far better than the equator like heat wave we had in New Jersey. Did a lot. Good weather, good food and lots of things checked off the list including several outings out on the lake where I was the butt of the laughs trying to field test the tubing setup we came up with. 



     This past year they bought a second home out near Tupper Lake and spending the day avoiding the Ironman traffic in Lake Placid was a good move. There was lots of cold beer and good cheese 


and bread in between some great melas at home and at Tail-O'-The-Pup in Ray Brook. I've been going there for 30 plus years and it has never tasted as good as it did this time. We took a ride to 



down too Ausable Forks after stopping at the Covered Bridge in Jay. When I pulled into town there was a lot that had happened since I left. No more thrift stores, Stewart's had been rebuilt, and one of my homes had just been sold. It was the green house, the one I purchased after the murder-suicide that occurred inside. I purchased the house for around $30,000 and then Hurricane Irene and frozen pipes wreaked havoc on the place. I sold it in 2013 for $21,000. Well, it sold in May, for $219,000. Stupid, dumbass, idiot, whatever I could call myself, things happen for a reason, I guess. It was 


great spending time with Lauren and Erin who have busy schedules now for a 20 and 17 year old and my Mom who will be heading back to Florida this week. I had a blast with my nieces June and Eden and it's always nice hanging with my sister and brother-in-law. You know 6 hours isn't all that long of a ride, just comes down to excuses why we don't see family more often. Hit the road at 4am and you're pulling into town by 10, 11 am at the latest. Got to better with that. On the way home Erin 


and I stopped at Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus and I picked up some frog flies to add to the two on the right Leif gave me. I also picked up some materials to tie some flies of my own. I really liked 




the above fly as it will glide across the pads or grass and hopefully not get all kinds of snagged up. After dropping off Erin and heading home I hit the snakehead grounds. A ton of casts with the frog flies. Had one swim up to my feet and wasn't at all entertained with something on top. It was bowfin and not a snakehead. I also saw a ton of minnows and small swimming fish. I think I am going try


and go underneath as I think they may be on swimming baits and not just frogs, which they don't seem to be interested in in this stretch. So my precision..... my first snakehead or bowfin will be on a Deceiver or small minnow fly and it can't come soon enough.