Thursday, July 7, 2022

07.07.22 What a day....


     Let me say this, snakehead fishing sucks. You know how when you fish a tide or a bite and you can be done in 2 hours, well forget it with snakeheads, especially if you're trying to get them on foot. Today was my day or so I thought. By the time I got the dinghy loaded up it was just the start of the outgoing, and I was passing the river, so why not stop and torture myself. I set up the tank just 


in case and as soon as my fly ht the water it was ambushed by probably 8 striped bass. They all ran to it looked at it and left. That happened over. and over and over again. In the mix of schoolie bass, probably 18-24 inch fish, there were two I wish I had another shot at. You know the ones you can tell are big when they turn and they're all shoulders and then the long body and a big tail, that was them. On one cast I looked and saw my fly swimming next to his face and all he would have had to do was breathe and I would have caught. Fun times, fine with not catching, love seeing shit like that. 



    So then it was off to look for snakeheads. Got to the "launch" and looked over and saw the above memorial, lets just say the life jacket stayed on the whole time. If I were ever to have went in I would have got stuck in the mire and weeds and pads and that's not good. There have been times I 



couldn't wait to get back to land. Scared, slow bite, bad weather, boat problems, today was boredom. I grew up fishing non-moving water and this ass-water just isn't for me. I must have seen 100 turtles, and at times when they moved across my screen I thought I was game on. I was sitting low in the dingy, crunched up, sweaty, fat, legs cramping, flies in my nose and ears. I didn't see a snakehead, a frog, a nothing. To be honest I don't even know what I'm looking for.....yet. I had good flies and the


one I tied last night is special, even though it didn't get bit. Some how, the hook rides up? Don't ask it was by luck and not by design. It is pretty badass if you ask me. The only mishap, and you know


there would be one was I lost the oarlock when the screws pulled out as I tried to maneuver through the swamp. When I finally got back to shore I was relieved. I couldn't wait to pack up and head home. But then I thought, tide is dropping, what am I really going to get done today so I started walking. I walked to the spot that I am glued to because I saw a snakehead there last week. 


     Before I started I text my buds, "F this snakehead fishing", and don';t you know, like by design. I was watching two little minnows in front of me, in clear water, light current, and a snakehead came out from the depths and dam near beached itself trying, well did, to get the bait fish. That's all I needed to stay another hour blowing out my arm casting "Archer's Fighting Frog" fly. I hope I don't lose it as I really want to catch something with it, and I can never tie the same fly twice.