Monday, July 11, 2022

07.11.22 You could film Naked and Afraid out here....


     I must be doing something right because I am finding a snakehead each time I go. (So I don't have to write it each time, SH is the abbreviation for snakehead.)  I haven't had a good follow or swipe yet, but that's coming. I stopped by the river to visit my striped friends, I wish I had fish food so I could feed them. Again, a mix of bruisers in the mix just hanging in the current, a lot of them. But I want a snakehead so it was off to Jurassic Park on the hunt during the late afternoon. 


     The SH I find are swimming around or actually in pursuit of something, just never my fly. Most anglers fish for these from a boat, makes sense, as they are just in or out of the pads. I have come to learn the term for lily pads is chatterbox. I have also come to learn doing this on foot is kind of annoying. Lots of casts, tons of watching and waiting, and a ton of casts that 


can't be made, or they wind up in the woods behind you. The SH I found today was sitting in a little clearing (below) and it took a Joe Humphrey's bow and arrow casts to get my "Archer's whatever I called it Frog Fly" able to land near it. It didn't matter as it swam away while I was trying to figure out how to get it out there. I made some more stops and during my steps through the jungle I found  



this very large one clawed crawfish walking in the clearing. I got it into my basket and got it into some water. Then I looked to my right and saw the below mushroom, or fungus or whatever, and that's when I said to myself, "They could shoot Naked and Afraid out here". I can imagine some tree hugger contestant frying this thing up and then getting deadly ill and then airlifted to the hospital. 


     And then off in the distance I saw a tattered American flag waving in the wind. As I made my way closer I felt like I was in some Vietnam-like setting, and I'm not saying that I know what it was like, but that what's I thought it might be like out there. And then I saw someone near the flag  


working on the bridges "suspension". I yelled out and met "Funny", a 64 year old guy who has been building this series of foot bridges for the last seven years. I was like, "WTF ?". Killer crawfish, poison mushrooms, war time bridges, and a guy in the middle of the bayou building bridges, what's next, locusts, killer bees, or a Tyrannosaurus Rex?