Friday, July 15, 2022

07.15.22 Tragedy at the pond.....

     I'll just tell it how it went down today, never putting fishing before tragedy. Got down to the pond at 830 and just had one car in the lot. Launched the kayak and started out. It doesn't take much wind to blow you around. Casted along the pads and in what is left of open water. Had my first follow today. Lauren called and as I talked with her a large, what I think was a bowfin, was swimming towards the yak. With the phone in the crutch of my neck I made a cast and the "AFF" plopped right above it. It rose and then followed. I made a splash, then a long pause, but eventually ran out of fly line and it made a left. I first thought something was up when two helicopters circled the pond, one 

when I was on the water and the other when I was on land. But I fished on. Fly fishing from a kayak is like laying on your floor and making casts, and as far as sight fishing, forget it, your just too low and can't get a good angle, especially if the sun isn't up and high. 

     I gave it about and hour and came back in. As I went to get my truck to load up a guy was in the lot and I said hello, "It's a shame what happened here last night", he stated. Then I knew something was up. When I launched I noticed a medical grade glove near my kayak, and after learning a 4 year old had drowned last evening there I felt I just wanted to get out there. As I walked back and forth to get my gear I saw not only the glove, but a diaper, a torn shirt, and suction tubing no doubt from the frantic efforts to save the boy. Two Park Rangers pulled in and just sat in their cars talking to each

other with an occasional laugh. I know, I get it, I've there. So I decided to gather up all the stuff that was left behind and toss it in the garbage. If any family comes down to the scene they don't need a reminder, and when the news media gets here it'll be the only thing they can focus on besides the waters and the family doesn't need to see their child's diaper and shirt on the news or paper. 

     I can tell you it was a good move. Why? Because after the paramedics pronounced Ryan he medical examiner removed his body I went down to re-organize the basement. And what I found, and what I still have, and what I remember vividly, is the electrode slip with three missing that they used to run an EKG for pronouncement. It was on the floor, and its burned into my mind. So that's why I thought it was important for the family. RIP little guy, such a tragedy.

     So I took a little drive still looking for #1. I saw a good one today and after a mile hike and lots of poking in and out of potential spots I found some clearing, and don't you know there was a guy there. Nice guy, shared his spot, we played nice, we caught nothing. However we did see a 30 incher out of range swim from the pads to the downed trees along the shoreline, that was cool. 



     To finish the day out I went back to the tidal tributary that was now dead low. Dead low and just dead. I thought since the water was still and there was deep cover something would jump up and out for a AFF- nope. What I did find was the headstone way above the water level and after cleaning 


off the stone I could read half of her name "Maria Cecilia.......", not sure of the rest, so she rests in peace and I won't be able to notify her family, if I could even find them, of its whereabouts. But wait, when I just looked at the picture I see I missed the what could be the last name, so maybe there is a chance. I can't believe I didn't see that in the sun, maybe it was the reflection. Next time I'm going to bring a brush and get it down to bare stone. 


     The happenings on the pond just really soured my mind and I just need to step away from this pursuit for a bit. Salt in the morning. Don't care if I catch anything I just need a change of scenery and some moving water.