Wednesday, July 6, 2022

07.06.22 Chased away by "The Hoff, Jr."....


     Well as Alice Cooper once sung, "School's out for summer". Finished up yesterday until the fall when classes and clinical in the hospital resumes. This morning I had to drive Lauren to Red Bank to catch a ride to Saratoga to see Dead and Co. She was excited, and then bummed, when the show got cancelled due to John Mayer's father taking ill. Next stop, Philly on Sunday, we'll be there.


    So while down the shore I decided to hit it. Leif did good this morning with a near keeper bass and a keeper fluke on the crab fly. So, with ladder in tow I thought I'd go see if I can sight fish one up. On the beach it was a strong west wind with incoming tide which made seeing into the trough tough. I gave the rocks a shot and as soon as I set up I could see a lifeguard running in the distance, and then I heard him yelling. I thought it was David Hasselhoff Jr, from Bay Watch days, who was yelling at me to leave. You see, "This is a swimming beach", even though it was red flagged and 


they weren't letting anyone swim in the water above their ankles. Shame is the north side looked good, and with no one in the water my chances of catching felt pretty good. He said I could fish the 


the south side, which has been summer shoaled up due to the south winds and littoral currents (below). So I didn't fight it, I just said okay and left. Besides, I had snakeheads on my mind. In 



the bayou it was the end of the dropping tide, really skinny, lots of micro bait getting blown out of the water along the far banks. The problem was I only had a 300 gr sinking line with me so anything I threw topwater just didnt work. I dam near pissed myself when from the deep a nice sized bass 


hit my fly and I didn't react fast enough, thinking I was wasting my time. Below is the required footwear for snakeheads, calf high muck boots which keep you dry and somewhat slip resistant. 


     So tomorrow I'll get there with some more water in the slop. I broke out my clear floating line that I used up in the Vineyard and banged out, what you could call "Ugly Ass Fly 2", but I'll call it, "Archer's Flying Frog", because it looks more like a fighter jet than a frog, at least in the vice. Imagine being a hungry snakehead lying in wait and looking up and seeing the blow. Looks like a frog to me, or a jet heading back to MacGuire Air Force Base. We'll see. One of these days I'll connect. And oh yeah, remember when I first launched, and than capsized the "S.S' Archer", well tomorrow she gets wet, again, hopefully I won't.