Tuesday, July 12, 2022

07.12.22 Another snakehead sighting...


     Went on the prowl on the incoming tide. High bright sun and flooding tide made for easy sighting everything from minnows to turtles to small non-striped bass. I was dying to see something that looked a snake to cast to but that didn't happen. I moved around today, checking the big river and 




some new backwaters that look fishy. Of course, I had to step over construction debris that was left by some of the locals. Stuff like this is just wrong, and I wonder what the fine would be if they were even caught. Kind of like poaching, slap on the wrists which doesn't deter more bad behavior. 


     With the tide up I went looking for my real friends and they were there in good numbers. I got a July bass, so that's at least one in March, April, May, June, and this month, not a bad fishery here at home. Today most wouldn't give my fly a second look and I wonder if a hellgrammite pattern or other type of Delaware bait would be better. I tried a mummichog fly to no avail. It finally hit a small Hollow Fleye and I need to get back at the vice and start tying. I have to figure out what the strongest hooks that are available, no more straightening them out like I did this spring. With high tide approaching first light it might be good in a few days for some topwater action and cooler water temps after a dark night.