Sunday, July 10, 2022

07.10.22 Creepin' while your sleeping'.....




     Back from a quick two days down in the Cape. More on that later. Needed to fish so I looked at the tides and decided to start the third shift just before high tide. Before I left the other day to head south I bumped into a, well, crazy amount of bass so I figured what better time to get them than in the dark when they might be more active and the chilled out from the midday sun. I haven't fished a late night in a while so I 


missed seeing the swings and misses and almost sight casting to them. But, there's nothing like a little topwater to get the blood pumping. Heard a few bowling ball type splashes and can't imagine what that were. There's still good fish around, or they are just staying, my buddy, who always seems 


to find good summer bass, caught a 38" fish yesterday on top, during the day. That's why out here it's hard to go down to a 7 or 8 weight. It's summer, and when catching you need to get them in and back in short order, no time for having the fight of your life as the stress could be too much for the fish. 


     If you know me, or even if you don't, you may know I am either cheap, broke, or have some issues when it comes to buying things. For some deep psychological reason I can never seem to treat myself to something new, or like new, and feel comfortable about it. The last that I purchased that was almost new, at the insistence of my wife, was the 2014 Ford F-150. I bought that in 2018 and couldn't really use it as a truck as trucks these days are more like luxury vehicles, and put a ton of miles on it and then sold it in 2020 to buy the place down the shore, a down payment on Jim's boat,  and the Yukon. Then I sold  the Yukon last year to buy the Silverado



with the utility body which I just traded for the above truck, a 2002 Chevy Silverado. Four door, gas, more of what I need. So I like a cap on a pick up. Went to a dealer, $1,450 brand new and installed. I searched the entire East Coast and New England on Facebook Marketplace into the wee hours each night before finding one down in Pleasantville, New Jersey, just outside of AC. I wasn't sure it would even fit. So Theresa and I took the drive up from 


the Cape Friday and knocked on the door. "It's over there under the construction stuff". So after so digging and the moving of cement mixtures and tools we had it up on the truck. So here's the good and the bad. Good- price $75. Bad- it needs a rear window. And that is a problem. A new one, if you can even get one, is a small fortune. That means it will be more sleepless nights looking on Marketplace for one, and people don't know the model number or even the measurements, which at times can be more like estimates at best. 


     After loading it on I found a do-it-yourself car wash and after a quick bath this is how she looks. She cleans up pretty nice. Not bad for a $3,500 (trade) truck and a $75 cap. I'm really digging this truck, we'll see how long she lasts. The odometer reads 232,000 miles, "but it's really less" said the previous "owner", as he states he switched out the cluster, and it really has around 175,000. 'They last till 300,000 if you change the oil"......time will tell.