Monday, November 4, 2013

11.04.13 Gimme shelter....



     If you were out this morning from say 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. then you know what I'm talking about. It wasn't a fly rodders paradise. Got down before first light hoping to get a line in the water and a fly to the bass before the new moon full tide hit at 7 a.m. Found a south side pocket that I was able to tuck into. Great place to fish, but no takers for me. Soon the water was up and the northeast wind blowing 20-25 mph hour made things a little sporty and wet. I don't mind getting wet, even at 38 degrees, but every now and then there was a rouge wave that would break on the north side and sweep hard across the groin. I had to wait a few hours into the ebb to get back out near the tip to fish.



     I jumped from spot to spot looking for the best place to fish in the conditions and that looked fishy. I found a small group of spin fisherman taking a wet and cold beating on the rocks. It paid off for one angler who caught a nice bass on a bucktail. It was a tough day with the fly rod getting that fly to sink and stick, even with the sinking line and weighted Snake Fly. Just as you would time the northeast swells, a big wave would sneak up and sweep your fly to the left into the rocks (if you were fishing the more fishy north side).

This weather calls for dressing properly, not putting yourself in an unsafe location, and not fishing alone. None of which I did today. "Do as I say, not as I do", I guess.