Saturday, October 29, 2011

10.29.11 Out with super snotty conditions...got to fish but no fish


     Still images can't really tell how conditions were this morning. Here is what NOAA says,


Synopsis...A STORM SYSTEM WILL ORGANIZE OFF THE CAROLINA COAST AND MOVE NORTHEASTWARD, REACHING NEW ENGLAND BY SUNDAY MORNING. HIGH PRESSURE WILL THEN BUILD IN BEHIND THE DEPARTING LOW AND CONTROL OUT WEATHER THROUGH MUCH OF THE UPCOMING WEEK.

Today...NE winds 25 to 30 kt with gusts up to 40 kt. Seas 6 to 9 ft...building to 8 to 13 ft this afternoon. A chance of rain early this morning...then rain late this morning and afternoon.



I shot this short video just to give those not around here an idea of what things are like this morning.



I left Deal around 1 a.m. hoping to catch in on early storm action but there was none to be had or I couldn't get it done. Went home and slept a few hours before catching the last few hours of the incoming. Wind and surf were kicking. Had to find a place 1) that I could fish, and 2) that may hold fish. Needless to say I didn't see any fly rodders out this morning. Stopped in Asbury Park and Deal. In Deal I saw Rich getting out and asked him how things were. He said he saw talked to a guy who caught a guppy striped bass in the wash. I decided to hit Elberon because I know of a good spot where the wind can blow right over you if you keep your cast down low. I fished for about an hour on the south side


and then gave the north side (below) a shot but couldn't get a good cast out. I moved down to


Allenhurst to find a lone angler soaking clams on the north side. If you know the above building then you know that flag. That's one of the flags where you get a true sense of what the wind is doing, it sits right on the ocean.



Back in Asbury Park I found these hard core guys trying to fish while not getting blown off the rocks. I watched for a while and shot some video to share. I hope they each get a fish, somedays you just deserve one for trying.