Monday, November 11, 2013

11.11.13 Worked half the graveyard shift and got lucky on my last stop....



     With a quick stop home between trips to University of Rhode Island this weekend and the University of Maryland today I only had the graveyard shift available to fish. Got out before 11 pm on the last half of the incoming. Stiff west winds had the surf layin' low and flat. Stopped at a few ho-hum places halfheartedly wetting a line without a bump.



     I decided to take the drive and "the walk" and as I did the wind gods blew hard, real hard. Let's just say the walk there and back was longer than the time I put in fishing. A few other hardcore souls were out and hadn't found the fish just yet. With the tide starting to ebb, with a near blow-out tide, I stopped at a few spots where there was protection from the wind, which had laid down to a more manageable speed since I left the howling winds a little north. Again the surf was dead calm and flat. If a fish farted you would have seen it easily.
     With a much needed warm shower and coffee on my mind I hit one last spot. I was running out of time, and interest, and my casting was reflecting that. I had rigged up a black Snake Fly with a black sand eel dropper. It was the only combo I tied on and used it all night. As I worked my way towards the beach a hard hit woke me up and a strip strike hooked the only bass of the night. Quickly I was into my backing and making my way to the beach.
     Once I got it up I took a quick pic and released it back into the surf. I had put tape on all my rods and this fish hit the 34" mark.  Of course my interest was peaked and I fished for another half an hour before calling it a night. It was nice reward for a night full of jumping around, walking, and casting.