Thursday, June 28, 2012

06.28.12 Checking things out front before heading to New England


     This is another favorite fishing season of mine. When the bass bite slows, and when I'm not tying in wire for the bluefish, getting out at first light and fly fishing for fluke in the wash is as good as it gets. Today I found this spin angler enjoying the very thing I am talking about. As I pulled up to Allenhurst I saw Judy coming off with a nice 20" keeper, one of several she's had in the past few days.
    Fly fishing for fluke, or any other species off the beach in the summer is great. The water is warm so you can wet wade in shorts and sandals and getting out before the crowds at first light can give you a glimpse of the beautiful sunrise that we see off the Jersey Shore. Like all other fishing, there is a proper presentation and beach read that will increase your chance of hooking into a keeper (17.5") size fish.
     I also enjoy this season when doing casting or intro to fly fishing classes because the fish can be literally at your feet. If you'd like to try fly fishing for fluke or would like casting lessons or an intro to fly fishing lesson give me a call, 732.261.7291. Instruction is $50 per hour and includes a snack and cold beverage. It's great for a couple or parent and child to do together.

(Continued below)
  


     So I am following the striped bass up to New England for a long weekend in Newport. This weekend is the America's Cup races so I am sure the town and surrounding waters will be busy. I am still packing a fly rod, or two, just in case I am able to wet a line. My wonderful and supportive wife lives fishing with me everyday of the year. I am either away on the Upper Delaware for days or waking up at 4am to hit the first light bass bite. So, sometimes you just have to do the right thing, but, maybe I can out for a minute.

Capt Rene of On the Rocks Charters
     Since I am going to Newport I emailed fellow Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Rene Letourneau of On the Rocks Charters, you can visit his website HERE. He has been fishing the waters around Narrangansett Bay for over 20 years and offers both fly and light tackle charters for his clients. I wish I was able to fish with Rene this trip but, " This is not a fishing trip, this is not a fishing trip...." but he did give me a few pointers on fishing in and around Newport. In addition to the fishing the view from his boat of the Rhode Island coastline is beautiful so the non-angler of your party will enjoy themselves as well. Give Capt. Rene a call 401.359.3625