Friday, May 31, 2024

05.31.24 Hit the salt and the honey hole....


     I was excited driving down at 430 am. It had been a while since I fished the salt and haven't broke the ice this year just yet. NNW wind, nice air temps, water looked good. Couldn't ask for anything more. Well, maybe some fish around would have been nice. I went Ugly right from the jump. If they 


were there I wanted to catch them. I fished along a great trough that went from groin to groin without a tap. The water was clean and green and surely, at least, there would be a fluke sitting on the drop-off. 



     I fished along the rocks because the water levels were just too low on the dropping tide. I fished pretty hard before moving out to the tip of one of the groins. Surely, again, something must be 




patrolling out there. Didn't see any bait, birds, dolphins, whales, nothing- well except for an osprey that dove in and grabbed a fluke. It's so cool when they do that. But the fluke wouldn't eat flies today. 


     After I made my way out to the tip I made a long cast and caught the only piece of wood sticking out of the rocks. So I made my way back, retrieved the fly, and crawled back out. Nothing home there either. I lasted about 2 hours before I gave up. On my way to the truck I was stopped in my tracks by 


the above image. That wall. I remember it. I remember walking under and along the wooden pier that extended out from Philips Avenue. I would say Deal is where it all started for me. I call Deal home. So many good mornings started off with the guys I would meet and still call friends, Al, Leif, Ritchie. 

     On my way home I realized how lucky I was to live where I do and have good fishing local to me. That drive sucks to fish, and not catch, but the early morning salty air felt good to breathe in. I decided to stop at my new honey hole and see if anyone wanted to play. On my second cast the below fish 


crashed the fly as soon as it hit the water. It was strong, and having put the 12 wt. away till next year, it was a good fight before getting some tank time. There were more but after a bunch I decided I was 



 good. The last fish had a brush with something because it had an area that looked like it could use some Bactine. Remember when your Mom put that stuff on your scraped knees? Oh, the burn.