Friday, May 10, 2024

05.10.24 Bassin' in the rain...



     Seems like the rain forecast has been off a day or so. We have it now and that's always a good thing for the river and the fish. It's also good for the lawn and yard, I just hope you've stayed up with the mowing as this time of year the grass can grow out of hand. This morning it was chilly, rainy, and windy. But that didn't stop the fish from eating. 

     Had the two rods set up and ready to go. With the weather it just didn't feel like a top water type of day, at least to me. When I got set up I had the fly swimming behind the boat and had a fish take it. 


Luckily I wasn't ready so it didn't get hooked. At least I knew there were fish around. And they were. It was another great morning with fish swinging, missing, and connecting. Landed three before calling it a quick morning. I started with topwater and did have one bass blow up on it. I'm going to fish it until I connect and then will made some adjustments. However, I may silicone the head, which won't make it pretty but rather more functional in keeping it on top of the water. 


     Fish just do love the Squimpish and if you fish moving water you have to give this material a try. It moves in the water in a way that is irresistible to striped bass. Now after you catch a fish you'll have to comb it true again as the fibers do get all kinds of jammed up. But the proof is in the catches. I love 


to finish my flies with eyes but after a half an hour I'm usually down to one or just bare. The fish don't seem to mind. They say eyes are more for the fly tyer than the fish anyways. But I do love eyes. 


     After I pulled the boat I stopped for some breakfast and you can't beat a good bacon, egg, and cheese with a milk of course. I made my way home and and backed the boat it. After I placed the chock I realized 



the fender was missing on the drivers side. It was loose and I didn't some work on it tightening it back up but that I guess was a fall. So I jumped in the Jeep and retracted my steps and found it lying on the side of the road. I'm glad I got it back because the trailer is a 1998 and I don't think I'd find another.