Tuesday, May 7, 2024

05.07.24 "Keep em' Wet".....


     Well I had a few wishes. Fish the salt, catch a fish, and get one in the tank. It was weird driving and hour plus to fish but without traffic it went quick. Got down before the sunrise and met up with Leif. Beautiful morning when we started on the incoming tide. It took a while before Leif went tight with a 




smaller fish that made it into the tank. I didn't specify it had to be a fish caught by me for the tank so his will do. Of course Leif was fishing "Ugly" while I opted for a larger baitfish pattern fly. As the 


outing progressed and the tide rolled, like swell rolled, in the NE wind started to pick up which left a bunch of debris and foam covering the water, so it was mostly a south side kind of morning. 



     I took a walk to find some fish and came back shortly after coming up empty. Leif and I fished together which was kind of just cast and retrieve, cast and retrieve, and cast and retrieve. As Lewis said, "After every 60 casts you feel a bump or catch a fish". That didn't bode well for me. And then I saw Leif's line straighten out. It was a good fish. He made his way to the beach end and soon the fish was 



hanging out in the tank. It could have stayed there all day if its wanted to. The fish must be tranquilized by the new surroundings because outside of a splash here and there they just chill and catch their breathe. 


     Leif headed for work and I stayed a bit because work for me was an afternoon thing. I went Ugly hoping that I didn't catch a fish on the U.A.F. but that didn't happen either. It was such and adjustment throwing a 10 wt. rod with 350 gr. line after two months of throwing a 12 wt with 520 gr line. 

     Before heading to see my son over at Rook at the Little Silver train station I stopped at a spring time favorite and found the drain hadn't been pulled from the bath tub. I would have liked to fish the outgoing on lower water but it is what it is. 


     On the way home I made a stop with my 10 wt and 20 pound flouro leader. I made a bunch of casts before hooking a monster that broke me off....if I only had my 12 wt. with that 30 on it!!