Sunday, May 5, 2024

05.05.24 Found this cool thing down in Cape May...


     Over the years I had seen this van parked in the woods in Lower Township just outside of Cape May. recently the property must have been sold and the clearing of the overgrown property has begun. Now the van is more visible. On the van is a website but when I searched it nothing came up. I did find a 


Facebook page and grabbed the above image. The last movement on that page was from 2017 so I'm not sure when this van so it's last fish cleaning job. I wonder over the years how many fish were hoisted up 




and then cleaned in the back. It must have been a cool procedure to watch. Cape May is a hub of fishing activity between private, commercial, and tournament fishing. Offshore is huge down there and tuna and sailfish relatively close to the shore, closer than say northern Jersey Shore brings out anglers in large numbers. 

     Theresa and I were down to open up our "Shore House" for the season. While not cheap, and easy to give it up in January and February opening weekend always gets us back in the Cape May mood. 


     It takes some hard work to open things back up and next week we'll take another trip with the pressure washer and garden tools to get the property in tip top shape. One thing I hate are the rocks, which come at first as gleaming in white, but them get discolored and stained from the leaves and weeds. They need a mobile tumbling service to come around and give them new life. 

     When we got home I ran to fish. While wading in the drooping tide I saw an eye staring back up at me. It belonged to a fly I lost some time ago. A quick hair combing and a bath and I tied it back on thinking how cool it would be to catch a fish on it now. I fished for two hours without a tap before going


tight on some debris on the bottom which reclaimed the fly. Maybe that's where it belonged. Or maybe the fish God's knew it wasn't going to get eaten and spared me the shoulder grinding for hours to no avail.