Friday, May 24, 2024

05.24.24 Lights out fly fishing....


     It was real good but boy did I have to work for them. Probably 15 casts for every blow up or swipe and then another 10 casts before landing a fish, so about 25 casts per fish. This ain't spin fishing. Boat position is a lot different. Length of casts is a lot different. And fighting these fish is a lot different. I continue to learn every day I'm out there. Luckily for me I got some solid buds that really are in the know. 


     When I got a call to see how I was doing in the spot I chose I got an invite to some more fishier water. Not only did that call put me on the fish but it got me to experience something new in a new part of the river. Most of this morning was a topwater party. I threw a bunch underneath but they were 


tuned up and aggressive. I went with a popper tied with a Flymen Surface Seducer. They couldn't get enough of it. So the question I have to ask myself is; Is it the size of the fly or the size of the splash? 



     The best part of fly fishing for striped bass are the visuals, either blitzing fish or sight fishing while they roam the flats. This morning the visuals were there and I was thankful to be a part of it. Today I caught a tagged fish and will call it in to get my "Reward". I think it's a UFSWS tag. The fish were


below slot, in the slot, and overs, including some 38 inch plus fish. None of the later for me today but I saw them for sure. It's the weekend and the googan squads will be out on just about every water so I'll


enjoy some non-fishing days down in the Cape with Theresa. Bring a rod? No way. I could use a break and that wouldn't be the way to get in or stay on the wife's good side. The best part of today? Lauren had a Go Pro Hero 5 that she wasn't using so I charged it up and read the instruction manual last night. 


Coolest thing is it's voice activated. "Go Pro start recording" and "Go Pro stop recording". I did this off and on at least 30 times throughout the morning and was surely pointed in the direction of the top water action. So when I had had enough of catching I called it a morning. Once on land I looked at the camera. Not a frame, not a clip, nothing. Next time I'll just turn it on and keep it on. If this still lasts.