Thursday, May 9, 2024

05.09.24 Well that was good....


     With the spring 2024 spawning run over it's time to get to fishing. It's a different season now. The fish don't have getting their freak on on their mind and they can get back to doing what striped bass do best....eat. It's been a different year. The herring run just didn't seem to be like in years past. I saw a few but not the schools like I have seen. The fish now will be post-spawn with lots of schoolies around. 

     After yesterdays mess I first backed the boat down to see if it would take on water. When that test was passed it was time to go and find them, and it didn't take long. I had rigged up by 11 wt. with a Bank Shot line, not may favorite as I don't have an 11wt. intermediate, topped with a large popper. I had some blowups on the popper with one good one coming unbuttoned at the boat. 

     I went to large Squimpish fly and had some taps, a bunch of follows, and the best fish of the day commit. It came in at 34" and fought hard. It too liked the rehab in the tank and after about 10 minutes





it was ready to head back into the water. These fish are just pretty, dark where they should be with blue and purple highlights down the sides. The little guys came to play as well and the below fish just hasn't



grown into it's pectoral fin just yet. I really wish I joined up with Gray's Fishtag Striped Bass program but I cheated out as the tags, I think for 15, run about $125. Maybe next year I'll join up. 

     I fished for awhile even pulling the boat and dropping in down south but didn't find anyone home. when I was finally done I reached in my cooler for a drink and forgot I had brought a banana on the boat. I don't know if it matters but I didn't eat it. I saved that for back at the ramp.