Sunday, March 6, 2022

03.06.22 Here's a little lowdown for tonight...

     In preparation of Jason Taylor's MOTF virtual session tonight I spent some time practicing some of the things I have learned from him recently. Things are getting better, two things, well three things are pestering me, first, getting the tapers down, as I now see how important they truly are, finishing the head of the fly without flying on Solorez to clean things up, and how to not burn through so much material causing a lot of waste, and cost, especially with the Squimpish materials, either trying to get the right length before its tied in, or after when I Edward Scizzorhands the fly into shape. 

     Yesterday I hit the D, early season, a few guys out looking for early season American Shad. I am still looking for that early smallmouth which has been the season opener for me the last two years, smallmouth first, then stripers about two weeks after. So for tonight, set up your vice in front of your 


computer and do a tie along with Jason. Below is the itinerary, so clean off your desk and gather the needed materials, I'll be there. And luckily I just picked up some Chocklett's filler flash from Brad the other day, Coq de Leon, I don't have. 

 Flies to be tied:

  • Hollow Fly

  • Semper Fleye

  • Four-feather Fly

Tying materials:

  • Bucktail

  • Squimpish fibers (optional)

  • Strung saddle feathers

  • Schlappen

  • Marabou

  • Chocklett’s filler flash or other dense fibered flash chenille

  • Coq de Leon saddle hackle or large dry fly hackle

  • Ostrich eye (tip of ostrich plume)