Tuesday, March 1, 2022

03.01.22 Opening day and a three river shakedown....




     After waking up I jumped on the computer and the first thing I saw was the above post. Solid fish taken in the bay, and not on bloodworms! I had to head to the college today and that was just perfect for a shakedown trifecta. First stop was the Delaware at dead low tide. Today really wasn't about catching, although an early season smallmouth would have been nice, but more about checking conditions, getting my feet familiar with walking on rocks again, and getting the muscle memory in my casting shoulder loosened up. I did my duty covering office hours for the students and as soon as the clock hit one I was out my office and on my way the Passaic River. It was just about dead-low tide and


and after a quick two dozen casts and it was time to move along. It's only a few miles across Hudson County and I was at the Hackensack River, more accurately in the flats that are just off the main branch.



     This area, which what looks like a six foot tide, is just prime for early season bass. Lots of mud, moving water, and a great place for bass to warm up and grab a snack before retreating to bigger water. 
Some guys bitch about burning spots, truth is, you have too get there at the right time on the right day, and drop the right thing to catch. It's not rocket science. Early, and sometimes late, season fish like the backwaters as the warm up first and usually hold many types of bait not found out front. 


     I look forward to being there when all the stars align, and hopefully they'll be into eating flies. I did alot of walking and scouting and glad I made the stop. Soon I was in front of rush hour traffic driving down the Turnpike. Then it hit me, what about a late afternoon Delaware River stop. This morning was dead low, and no top of the tide, just the start of the outgoing. 



     To be honest, I was hoping for a taker. There has to be some stripers that have wintered over and ready to snack on something. While there I couldn't imagine how many man-hours I would be putting in over the next 2-3 months. This is my year. Spring only comes once a year, its game on. I would be remiss not to share how I love the surroundings on the inner city Delaware. Drums, garbage, construction debris, all nice things to look at or get your fly imbedded into. Soon the banks will be full of anglers soaking worms and bunker for bass or casting shad spoons for the upcoming migratory run. 

      Facebook is the only social media I do and there were several posts from the days opener. Below is 


a nice, real nice fish, that was caught in the Delaware about 30 mins south of Philly. And Dave Showell from Absecon Bay Sportsmen's Center always has a stream of anglers trying to be the first with a keeper. well husband and wife I think both scored the bounty for the first bass of the year. Big fish around already, maybe they never left the inside bays and rivers. 


    And in fly tying news, I'm still behind the vice trying to graduate from beginner to novice. Thankfully, Jason Taylor, an artist when it comes to fly tying, has been Messenging me some pointers on how to get these flies looking better. Below is one I tried really hard on, but again, I feel, blew it at the head. Too much thread, not bad taper, hopefully will get eaten. 


     I'm not one to give any advice, but I will this time. If you want your flies to really look their best, then get yourself some plastic sleeves, it makes them look professionally tied, just for a bit.