Thursday, March 10, 2022

03.10.22 Ready to start catching....



     What a differences a day makes. Two days ago it was 70 degrees, yesterday just over 40. Lots of rain. Water temps dropped a bit. But I'm getting close. No hits or runs so far. Passaic, Hacky, Raritan, Delaware and Toms, I've wet a line in each since March 1st. 


     I've used flies small and a little bigger. My goal is to catch the first bass that wakes up or arrives in the mid-Delaware. At 16 miles per day in travel time, and with meeting the opposite sex on their mind, there's no time for sightseeing. So, it would take a bass 8 1/2 days to get to me from Cape May. I've seen the shad, so the bass should be close behind them. I'll keep at it until I score. 

     I've done good so far, one fly lost, two trees caught that almost dislocated my shoulder on the forward cast, and I almost pulled a guys dentures out of his mouth yesterday as he walked with his wife. 

     Not wanting to lose any fly tying momentum I may have had going I sat down and banged this one out. Taper better, blending better, used a mix of bucktail, SF Blend and Squimpish to get it done. 4/0 Predator hook, so I'll keep this one out of the salt as the rust forms quick on those line of hooks.


      Water temps up to the mid 40's, with a drop now due to the cool air temps and some cool rain and snow. Looks like through the weekend we'll have up and down weather, and I'm sure what that will do to the water. Last year I kicked it off March 27th, when the water was up over 50.