Monday, November 21, 2011

11.21.11 Skipped the boat...hit the beach...lost my phone...got it back



     Late last night I cancelled the boat trip out of Barnegat Light. I looked at several forecasts and it didn't look promising. I was up and out the door at 430 am and it was raining pretty steady.  I felt guilty going down south to fish and having my kids walk to school in the rain. I turned around at Exit 98 on the Parkway and went to 8th Ave to see what was up. There were a few guys there and I talked with one guy who fished there yesterday and in front of Convention Hall and had some fish one at 19 pounds. I  drove up Ocean Ave and stopped in Sea Bright around 530. The rain had stopped and it was 54 degrees out with no wind. I was pissed thinking I dropped the boat trip because of the NOAA forecast, which was the following for Monday morning. 

Mon NE winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts to near 25 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft.

I did the drop offs and I will have to admit by the time I got back to the water around 10 am the wind and waves had started to kick up. The tide was just starting to move which gave me a great opportunity to scout some water from Long Branch down to the Shark River Inlet. How textbook and sweet is the below picture. That's about halfway out on the groin. It's just a feeding trough for fish laying along the rocks. 


     At some point I dropped my phone and didn't realize until hours later that I had lost it. It was around noon and I was in Deal, so I backtracked my day and didn't find it. I decided to fish Ocean Grove on the incoming plus it was the only beach where I found birds working steadily, although a ways out. As I 


was checking my backcast I see my wife coming over the sand towards me. She told me some guy had called her saying he had found my phone. He had hid it below the viewer at the gazebo in Avon. We drove down and looked around it and couldn't find it. We thought someone else had found it. Since the guy called from my phone we couldn't call him back. Right before we left we decided to call my phone and we could hear it ringing. He had put int on a joist under the boardwalk. I am thankful that he put it in a good spot and that I got my phone back. Losing a phone is as annoying as losing your wallet.