Thursday, November 3, 2011

11.03.11 Fly fishing blogs have "jumped the shark"



Here's what "Jumping the shark" means-

Jumping the shark is an idiom, first employed to describe a moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery.

I am finding that everywhere and everyday I turn on the computer there is a new fly fishing blog. Great, I know it's all good. In a world where content has become devalued this is a continued opportunity to give and get more free content and images for people to read and see for free. There is a now a blog for every type of fishing in every corner of every place in the world now. These now on top of a wide assortment of free online fly fishing "magazines".

I have been approached as other guides have by bloggers who would like to "fish" and then blog about the experience. I have heard, " Well you know, I'm in the fishing industry so i cant pay you". So rather then paying the half or full day rate, plus a thankful tip if deemed appropriate by the "client", they will fish, shoot a few frames and then write a blog about it. Mmmm...okay I guess. Again, it's all good? Right. Well no.  These authors also sometimes approach manufacturers to get products at a reduced rate, as professional guides, outfitters, and members of the sporting media might get.

Years ago writers, reporters, and photographers were hit with the revolution of audio slide shows, that came and passed. Then it was shooting video, that came, and didn't pass, but has become so easy for anyone to do, that it's now a standard you see on newspaper websites, fishing related websites, and You Tube and Facebook pages.

Now it is in style to have a blog. Why not, it's free, you can use other people's images and content, all with permissions I'm sure, and wax poetic about whatever you like. You can even use a manufacturers images of their products and "review" them yourself. You can have links to a manufactures website, it helps makes your blog look "official". Most of what you see are widgets with links, not paid ads. The manufacturers don't care, they have a new outlook. They just want to out there, they don't care how or where, they are even on competitors websites- link, link, hit, hit.

I started this blog in 2009. I have met a boat load of great folks because of it.

It helps with business, or at least I tell myself this, but it takes a lot of time and work to keep up.

Again, I find there is just too much content available from too many sources, for free, including this blog.

As the internet waves get saturated with fly-fishing blogs I can't help but think this blog too, has, jumped the shark.

That's my rant. Gone fishin'