Sunday, February 27, 2022

02.27.22 Sunday morning coffee and a fly....

 


     Up early before the air;ls so it was a good time for "A coffee and a fly". I didn't invent that, that was something I learned from Bob when we were up in Martha's Vineyard, the smaller pic is his crab fly and a cup of Joe from 2017. I switching back and forth between ties and materials. I'm having a so-so time with the Squimpish line of materials. Now that's on me as he has a worldwide following from some of 

the best tyers in the world. I am trying to tie with less material, and the flies I see with just Squimpish are kinda bulky. For me, I think Squimpish synthetics work best when tied in with bucktail or SF Blend.  The other thing I am working through is not wasting the material by cutting out the bend that happens with the packaging of the Boutique Blends. Since it is long, stringy, packs tight and has an oily

kind of feel to it I think using it along the sides or down the top of a fly can create some bulk and contrast if you don't want to overkill the peacock herl, like I have been. Steve Farrar always told me 


"Where you think you have the right amount of material in your hand, take half as much", as the illusion of bulk, rather than the actual bulk, is what fly tyers should be trying to capture in their flies.