Sunday, February 13, 2022

02.13.22 I present the $21 dollar fly.....


     Super Sunday 530 a.m. tying session. Little rant about the Super Bowl and pro sports these days, what is with all of the gambling ads? You can't watch TV, listen to the radio, or be on the computer without the mention of parlays, free money, guaranteed winning, and the ease of betting. Oh yeah, and at the end of every ad, "Gambling problem call "1-800- GAMBLER". Since selling my Yukon I am in a vehicle without Sirius XM and have to listen to 101.5, which is the "the home" of RWJBH, who is the largest health care conglomerate in NJ, and must condone gambling. RWJBH knows gambling addictions fall under metal health, and they are all about promoting mental health wellness. C'mon man. 


     Anyway. Feeling motivated after spending the morning with Steve the other day. Started out by directing his fly and then trying to replicate it. SF Flash Blends aren't cheap, around $7 a package, and the idea is to tie with less off the bat and not rely, like I do, in using scissors to trim the fly down after it is done. The other challenge for me is to better blend colors together and I started out with a black foam board and mixed several colors creating a newer blend. In the end the fly didn't come out too badly, 



although I don't see a herring when I look at it. In fact, in looks more like a peanut bunker, even though it is 9 inches long. It was time for the fly tester test, which can really make a bad fly look better than it actually is due to the volume and speed in which the water circulates. So in the end, I went cheap on the hackles out the back tying 6 in but it doesn't look like that, body should extend more in the rear, the eyes are cockeyed, and the coloring is to pale, I need to order some darker olive, brown, rust or something for some better contrast. And lastly, that fly needs some lead on the bend of the hook to ride right.