Saturday, February 26, 2022

02.26.22 Some help from Mike....


      So after posting the other day about tab eyes, I received a nice little letter in the mail yesterday from Mike, who was also a friend of Jim's. He had given Mike some of these and Mike was nice enough to pass them on to me. I don't know if Jim had these made, or manufactured them himself in the lab in the basement, which wouldn't surprise me. I started out by gluing some 3-D eyes on and then cut them to 




size in both roundness and length. I then sat and tied a fly that I think would go good with these tab eyes, and one a striper might eat, hopefully sooner than later. Even though it is cold nd windy out I took the drive down to Trenton and gave it a swim. I wouldn't have been against an early season 


smallmouth grabbing it if it had thawed out from the winter. This morning I woke and jumped on the computer and was greeted with this gem from 10 years ago, today. Some people ask, "How long have you been tying flies?", for it, a more appropriate question should be, "How long have you been tying shitty flies?". Now, I am not an expert of fishes, but I do believe I saw somewhere in the world where


a fish looks exactly like that, no blending of colors, no neck, big head and eye. Look it up, its there, well not really. I tied up a few more flys that are getting better looking. I am going to need another pick through the Keogh saddle bins at another fly fishing show, and next weekend it returns to Pennsy in Lancaster, and I might just take the drive.


     
But back to todays flies. I tried too work in Squimpish material but after cutting the boutique blend in half to get rid of the bend in material I didn't relay it to create tapered ends, and thats why along the back it looks like they all look the same length. A little trim should fix that, one of the nice things working with synthetics. 

     I tried to use the DIY UV I got from Amazon the other day but I found the bottle too big and hard to control, so I just pumped it down into the Solarez bottle which I think gives better control through the smaller tip. T minus three days till the bays and rivers open up......