Tuesday, February 15, 2022

02.15.22 Valentine's Day and two moons away.....


     After I am dead and my wife and kids are scrolling through this blog hopefully they will get some joy in seeing some pictures and reading about my life. But, truth be told, I can connect just about everything, somehow, to fly fishing and striped bass. So last night Theresa and I celebrated Valentine's 


Day with a nice dinner at Washington Crossing's Inn just down the road and across the bridge from our house. Nice setting, everything was all Valentinesed up and everyone appeared to be in love. One thing we did like to watch like two creepers or swingers was the young 30-something year old couples. Just young and fun and a great time in their lives, before the reality of real life sets in, like it does when 


you hit your 50's. Interesting fact we learned was the executive chef immigrated from Guatemala in 2001 and started as a dishwasher, he has worked his through and up through the kitchen and is now the top dog in the back of the house. Ok, enough with that, but the food was really good. 

As we closed the door and got hit in the face by the sky and woods were lit up by the Snow Moon, and that made me realize we are two moons away from the Pink Moon in April, after March's Worm Moon. The bays and rivers open up in less than two weeks and I got a feeling spring is coming a tad earlier than usual. April 16th is the Pink Moon, if you're planning on some third shift fishing it falls on a Saturday night, so you have Friday and Sunday, and if you can take off the Monday and Tuesday so you can get in on the action wherever you go to fish.


     My flies are getting better looking, this trio from yesterday haven't been wet yet. There's some thing I like and things I don't. Digging this hackle with the green/gray bucktail. Did a better job blending the bucktail colors. And need longer tab eyes, see below, too close to the hook. And for some reason I just really like the peacock heel along the back, either inside the tie or outside.