Friday, February 11, 2022

02.11.22 Great morning with Steve....


     Steve Farrar, always the gentleman. He calls me the other day and basically says, "Colin, I was reading your blog and if you ever want to come over and tie let me know". Now Steve loves to teach, never took a dime from someone learning to tie and never sold a fly. He is the SF, Steve Farrar, of 


SF Flash Blend, which is a blend of Slinky Fiber and Angel Hair. It is a great synthetic to tie with, and the thing I like about it is it comes in a variety of colors, is easy to work with, and the best, it can be trimmed, for me, that means correctly a too-bulky or tapered incorrectly fly. Steve is a natural when 


it comes to tying flies, obviously his own, but as well as all of the bucktail flies. If you have never seen his baby flounder, check out the video below. You can also see more of his flies and the process of tying


them by going to The Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders website, HERE. I told Steve what I was looking for, a larger fly that mimicked a river herring. In quick order he came up with a design and he went step-by-step explaining each section. It wasn't the first time he has sat me down and went through this, here's


Steve and I from a few years back tying on the kitchen table of our Martha's Vineyard rental. We talked about how great those trips were to the Vineyard, and it wasn't all about the fishing. Great times with great guys. The members of the band are getting older, but, we discussed the possibility of getting the 


band back together for one more trip. It would be great. I miss those guys, a really good bunch individually, but a real hoot when they are all together. We'll see, fingers crossed.