Friday, September 5, 2014

09.05.14 Time to start tying my favorite fly as there's reports of mullet making their way out front.....



                       

     It's my favorite season of the year. Favorite season with cooler temps, fall foliage, fall fashion, fall food, everything about the fall I love. And, fall is my favorite time to fish, especially in the salt. Tinnier baits designed for the fly rodder to mimic should be making their way out of the natal nurseries of the bays and rivers.  Its about to go off...well hopefully.

                        

     One of my favorite baits is the mullet. Easy to spot, nice and tight to the beach, and the striped bass and blues love them. When this bait is around I get to tie up my own version of Lou Tabory's Snake Fly or Slab Fly. I tie them in several sizes and colors and with weight and without. They are durable, swim nicely, and catch fish.



     Below is Tim Flagler of Tightline Productions demonstrating the Snake Fly. as always a gret tie and video from Tim.

Tabory Snake Fly from Tightline Productions on Vimeo.

     I'm going up north this weekend for a quick trip and then next week it's hitting hard at the bench getting ready for our Jersey mullet run and for Montauk. I will be at "The End" from September 17- 27 and have a few dates open if you would like to fish out there with me. I'll have a place to stay so just bring yourself and we'll have a great day at one of the storied spots for fall striped bass, bluefish, and albies on the East Coast.