Monday, July 12, 2010

07.11.10 Back to usual on the West Branch of the Ausable


This is the view Cindy and I had from our lodges deck over looking the West Branch of the Ausable River. Luckily the air temps have broke around here after the heat wave that hit the entire east coast the last week or so. We were actually cold when we woke up early this morning! After breakfast I went up and talked with this angler who had caught a couple of fish using a two fly set up, weighted nymph as an anchor fly, topped with a smaller emerger. The water was up and it was COOL!. I didn't bring my thermometer but it was definitely in the 5o's. This poor guy has the same condition I have, lovesflyfishingitis, and makes the trek from Morristown, New Jersey 3 of the 4 weekends each month. For those that don't know, it's 360 miles one way! Hopefully this weather is the start of something good, although we still have most of July and Ausgust to go. I don't like the numbers I'm seeing on the Delaware- Lordville just above a 1,000 cfs and 73 degrees! Hope they release some water soon, and steady at that. Since the West Branch of the Delaware has been the only game in town, every fish in that river probably has been caught and released more than once.