Sunday, October 4, 2020

10.04.20 Loading the gun to pull the trigger....


     Well, what to do. It was almost a year ago since I Sid good-bye to my 1998 Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 19'10 LT. Loved that boat. Loved the story behind it. Loved bringing it back from a long winters, many winters, nap to a fine specimen before selling it. 

     I remember getting the bottom paint removed. Remember all those trips to Gateway getting the motor humming just right. Remember the good times, and the not so good, like almost swamping it in front of the lighthouse at Montauk. Hated to sell it, probably undersold it, but thats history.

     So now what. Hearing, "Well you didn't get to run her a lot", "You were busy, in school". "You moved" 'That's not a Delaware river boat" "Save up for something that needs no work" "It'll cost you a fortune" "Where will you work on and keep it" "It only has a single axle".......all true. But.

     The top picture tells today's story. And its not pretty. But its not a deal breaker either. Thats not dirt you see, its wood. Lots of wood. Soft spots on the top deck mean soft wood underneath. Yes, it needs to be cut out, stringer replaced, I know, time and money. But I've been there before. 


     Maybe soon I will tell the story of the boat, and how it got to being available and only a trigger pull away from calling it mine. Its an emotional purchase, something they say you should never make. For all of ills, there are goods too. Its tricked out in only a way the previous owner could do. I have to sleep on it, talk with the boss, put logic before emotions. But I always liked a project, I still have many of them laying in the yard or standing inside my house. Not a trait to emulate. But there's always something about coming in the back door, taking he hard way in, that keeps my heart beating. 

     On the way home the traffic was backed up for miles. As I passed the scene I saw a truck, a trailer, and behind it a boat, someone didnt tie it down or secure it before their journey. I don't judge as I have made plenty of mistakes in my life. This one had to hurt the owner. 


     And in the WTF section today, today out of Lake Texoma in Oklahoma and Texas. Piles of striped bass. Daily bag military is 20 fish, no more than two can be 20 inches or greater, thats the Texas side, not sure what Oklahoma has for regulations. That seems like a lot of striped bass, for one day, taken from a single body of water. But what do I know. 


     And from the Jersey Shore, Leif broke the long stuck and got a keeper bass on his last cast of the morning. Hearing about bunker galore "as far as you could see", hopefully the stupid amount of bait stays around until the fish start showing up in good numbers. This fish is one thats on the move, and still is swimming south, unless someone else caught it and made a meal out of it. I am in awe of striped bass, and how they survive the onslaught from predation as well as natural factors driven to continue the species each year.