Wednesday, March 29, 2023

03.29.23 I must have a thing for older men....


      I don't know why old men fascinate me. Especially those that fish, or used to fish, hardcore. There's Al, Delaware Joe, the Martha's Vineyard crew, Bob, Steve and Dick...and well Gerry you're getting close too. Well today I met Art. Art wheels, well he is just hard on the brakes and his feet, as he makes his way down the ramp to the dock where he gets an aisle seat and sends monster seated casts out into the channel. He fishes here just about everyday, and not 


only fishes, but catches. I was impressed and then I saw his departure routine. He stays seated and backs his way up the ramp, which on a dropping tide is a tough angle. He asks for no help but as I saw this I made a move to assist but another younger guy beat me to it. There's something about fishing. And there's something about older fishermen that just won't quite. Powerful. 


     I had a frustrating day at the school today so I jetted out as soon as I could. Made my way down and while driving calculated the tide and wind and spots unknown. I wasn't going to do the same old thing. I found a nice spot and fished it for about an hour and half without a tap. Incoming tide, wind from the 


ESE. Saw a bunch of yakers and boats but didn't see anyone hook up, but they may have on an earlier tide. I'm digging this spot, but like any spot, I (you) didn't invent it or find it. It's already blown up but I won't add to the explosion. On my way out and on my way home I was thinking of getting a bite of something to eat and I found 


a super solid dirty water dog truck nearby. Fantastic. Hit the spot. Fueled up and ready to go. So I jumped across the water and found the next spot. No location name needed. Do your home work. And be a loser trying to find out where spots are. When I 


walked up there was a bunch of guys doing their thing on the dropping tide. Plenty of room for everyone to play nice and the cops there must have been taking a break from patrolling the bay. I 


watched the guy below hook up and land this measured "Right at 28 inches fish" that went on to hook his sneaker for a bit with the tailing treble hook (Why?) while he danced the fish flopped as it tried to catch it's last breath. This one was going in the frying pan so who cares. A few guys left and I saw 



an opening so why not. It was cast and retrieve without a tap but I did see another nicer fish caught. It's just like other place, put your time in and eventually the stars will line up. You could tell there's a regular bunch at this fishing hole which makes it kinda cool that most know each other. Tom, who I met through Joe, snapped and sent me a few images and one of them is below. Sometimes it's nice to just


to be able to cast into fishy water without the whole get-up on. On the way home I stopped and chatted with a few guys sitting in their car shooting the shit while the bells kept watch over soaking clams. This 


was a tributary of the main river and "Oh, yes, the bass come up here". He went on to tell me that, and looks over at his friend, "Remember two years ago....you could just walk up and catch 20", adding, "Even with that trout rod you got there". The other guy chuckled. Now mind you, I'm holding my 12 wt with a 10 inch fly. I just had to show him the pic from last year. The demeanor changed...."Dam", he said. It was a great half a day. The skunk continues. Only two days left before the Delaware shuts down.