Thursday, March 16, 2023

03.16.23 And off we go.....


     I started looking at rotary vices a while back. Why? Because the quality, and effectiveness, of the opposite side of my flies was noticeable. I wasn't paying attention to the flip side, and it showed. You know when you advance that thread through the bucktail and it catches up and wigs it out? Yeah, that kinda stuff. Or when the eyes wind up looking like they belong on a flounder fly? You get it. 


       You know these days I just can't with all of the experts, and non-experts, and the social media, and the wanna-puke love fests everyone has with each other, and the online magazines, and the now pandemic of everyone does a podcast, and the pro-staff, it's too much. Everything is the best and everyone is great. Ralph.... So I started to look around on my own, first with Regal, because I'd been tying with that vice for over a dozen years, then some others that my expert friends tie on, and then Peak (no pun intended) piqued my interest. 


     Made in the USA in Colorado. Peak cranked out their first vice in 2001. They are available just about everywhere, just Google them. And, they seem to have everything I need. Full rotary vice. A heavy base for cranking down on saltwater flies. Interchangeable jaws for smaller or bigger flies. And the newer "Jurassic Series" vice for strictly big game and big fly stuff. Besides I know a few guys, like Pat 


Cohen and Vince Wilcox, who call Peak home when it comes to fly tying. 



     I was lucky enough to hook up with Jennie the office manger at Peak who set me straight with questions I had about the company and their vices. I decided to go the entry-into-tying route and placed my order which arrived yesterday. I ordered the PRV-G2, a rotary vice with a heavy pedestal base. I added replacement brass screws for the stock plastic ones and the SLT jaws that take and holds hooks


larger than the stock jaws which hold up to 2/0 (above). Of course, it's a little different, just different. The sick thing is if you've never tied on a true rotary vice it will blow your mind. Not in the spinning kind of way, I saw Joe Calcevecchia spin his Regal Revolution- one quick down spin and it went for 4 minutes, but the ability to tie, and spin, and make sure one side equals the other. That kinda blew my mind, yes my simple mind. I am sure there are other benefits, but I'm just sold on that for now. 


     I took notice at The Fly Fishing Show to see who was selling Peak products, and which tyers were tying on them, out here, in the East Coast, not too many were seen. I am going to the Fly Fishing Expo of Long Island next weekend and will againlook to see who is selling and more importantly tying on them out there. To note, I believe this show will become THE show to go to in years to come. TFFS has jumped the shark as they say. If you ask people, on both sides of the carpet, oh yeah no more carpet for you, for their honest opinion they will tell you, but in secret, in the dark, God forbid we voice our honest opinions anymore. 


     You know I'm all about community. Even this 14 year old blog is a community of sorts. I know social media is used to create "a" community, but it only works, if you really want to create one, is to feed that with content and engage the members of that community. So, me, always liking to belong, hit and joined the Peak Facebook page. Now I don't know anything about statistics in views, likes, subscriptions, ect, but I do know the last post from Sept 2020 has a little dust on it. 

     I would like to see more East Coast and saltwater pros from Peak doing the circuit and engaged in that community of fly fisher-folks and tyers. These days people are as loyal to their products as far as their pro-staff swag and bottom lines dictate. That's why you see Authorized "Blank" dealers or "Blank" Endorsed Guide and Outfitters loyal to and pimping more than just one company. I feel if you're with me than you're with me. Some say it's just the way it is, the way to offer customers the most appropriate price point products to them in one stop shopping. I'm no retailer, but when I go to a Chevy dealer, rarely do they try and talk me into a Ford or Toyota. 

     So for now I'll enjoy my new vice. I have cranked out enough large flies for the spring so I don't need to invest in the Jurassic Vice just yet. Crab flies and those tiny Vineyard sand eel flies are in order next and this new set up should serve me well, because you know, well you will know. 

     Don't think this "I've had it for a day" is any kind of "Go get it message". But, in being The Average Angler, is appears Peak offers great vices, at great prices, for both entry into tying or upgrading from your beginner, or non-rotary vice. As Peak says, "Fly tying vices designed and built for professionals, priced for everyone".