Wednesday, March 15, 2023

03.15.23 A little on fly tying and vices....

  

     I used to be more of a fly buyer than a fly tyer. At least when it comes to saltwater flies. Upper Delaware flies, well those I buy. Too small. Too accurate. I just can't. But for the salt I now like, and will only, fish with flies that I tie myself. Why? Who knows and who cares. And that goes for those "Hey, (Leif) can you help a brother out", with those crab flies he ties". No more bumming. 

       And with fly tying comes fly vices. So many out there. So many super talented tyers I know who use the big guns such as Renzetti, Dyna-King, Regal, Peak, HMH, Atlas, Stonfo, and Norvise. There's usually a loyalty that lasts a lifetime and it's never, at least that I have seen, a competition or an arrogance between rival vice companies. 

     I joined the Regal Endorsed Fly Tyer Program in March of 2012, HERE. For the next 11 years I've always had the Regal logo up on my blogs banner. I was basically a one and done vice owner but always enjoyed that vice and any affiliation I had with them. Over the years there has been a huge following and membership into the Regal Pro Staff and I've seen that number increase with some of the best current tyers out there today. 


     My Regal vice has served me very well. It has been lugged to Montauk (above) and the Vineyard and from houses in Ocean to Red Bank to Titusville. From the dark and dank basements to a now "official" fly tying room on the second floor. I've tied on it, and my daughter has from time to time as well. 


     With my interest and increasing skill in tying flies these days, increasing not mastery in any way, I started to look into a true rotary vice. Now my friends have been on these for years and the offering from Regal, Regal evolution, is pretty sick, but I started to think about who I am and who follows this blog, just a few (The) Average Anglers. 


     What do new tyers do when it comes to making the decision to pull the trigger on a new vice? If they look online they see something like the above when they do a Google search. It can be a tad overwhelming. If they go to shows, like the recent (The) Fly Fishing Show they can see displays like 


above. They can stop by the booths, and there were a few really nice set-ups there this year, Norvise and Renzetti in particular, but that can be intimidating, not for all, but for some. You'd have to take all of that exposure and information and then look into what your budget is and then make a decision.

    Which vice is the right one for you? Everyone that ties will have their own opinion. Some will tell you they've been tying on the same cheap c-clamp vice for years. Others say the $800 Renzetti Master Deluxe is a worthy investment. Or, you could be like my boy Jim Matson, who, of course, took his Renzetti vice and custom made a 100 pound base that he used to tie on, standing always while tying of course. 


       If you're thinking of getting into fly tying here's some advice. Most fly fishing clubs are all about tying and conservation, with a little fishing thrown in. They are a great resource. We have a few in New Jersey, sorry if I left you out, South Jersey Coastal Flyrodders (way south) Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders (south), Bayshore Flyrodders (central), and Coastal Flyrodders (north). 

     Next you'll have to ask yourself what are you going to use the vice for. Home vs travel? Pedestal base vs c-clamp? Tying midges vs Beast Fleyes? Or are you looking to do it all, so does the company have a varied interchangeable jaws? True rotary vs fixed? And then, how much can you invest in this endeavor. Just some advice, look at the meme below, it'll tell you the true story. 


     Now, yes, you can save money tying your own flies, if you are smart. Cheap flies ordered online tied by children in third world countries, yes- all the big name fly suppliers are tied into this underground market somehow, are just that, cheap. You can buy flies from local tyers to a particular water, and they are probably exactly what you need, but it could send you back $2-4 per fly. No worries there, it just adds up if you're breaking off fish or donating flies to trees on your backcast. 


     One Bug Squirrel Award winner there, I think two or three years in a row. You'll have to go back and read about that, but it comes down to saving that "One Bug" fly, at any cost. But if you buy materials and stuff right, and crank out some flies, you can, in the end, save yourself money. They say the best fish come from flies you tie yourself, and I believe that, at least I'm starting to belive that. The only way to know is to start, and when I say start, join a club, ask a lot of questions, keep big purchases to a minimum, and start out buying used or rummaging around yard or estate sales. 

Fly tying can be fun. You can do it alone or with others. Is not weather or fish dependent. And it can get you through those cabin fever winters as you wait for the season to begin.