Sunday, March 5, 2023

03.05.23 The birds are here for the party...


     Each river has it's own story. The Delaware has one too in the spring. The migratory fish like shad, herring, striped bass, and even sturgeon-who move up the river all move when the time and conditions are right. We're just about on the Worm Moon, rivers up a bit, and a lot of people are waiting for the word that it's go time. A good indicator of what's happening under the surface can be seen on top of the surface. 

     In the spring the double-crested cormorants start to show up when the fishing starts. Now for them, striped bass aren't on the menu, but smaller fishes like smaller shad, herring, perch, and suckers are on the menu. I bet they'll take sunfish or little smallmouths as well. Not sure if they stick around for YOY snakeheads in a couple of months. 
     

     I went down for a look and to get my casting muscle memory back. Fished for about an hour without a tap. You know you never know, and I just keep telling myself that fish that make their way to Easton and points north have to pass by, there's just no other fish highway. I was glad to see a trio of cormorants leap frogging their way down the river. Riding the river down, diving for a meal, and then flying up and repeating, kind of like a typewriter. 

     I usualy score my first bass the third week of March, which would be 18 days from now. I guess even with our mild winter things usually fall into place every year just about the same time. While I'm ready to go I know that's it's still ealry and it just might come when I least expect it.