Sunday, March 12, 2023

03.12.23 Lots of light in the AM and a good trip to Monmouth County...

     Theresa and I are the in bed by 830 pm and up at 430 am type of folks so this Daylight Savings Time thing works for us. It was nice to wake up to lightness and start the day not feeling like a vampire. The idea of DST was first introduced by New Zealand entomologist George Hudson in 1895. That's him 

above. It took effect in the United States in 1915 with the passing of the Standard Time Act. That was done to conserve energy by having people up and about, and working for the wartime efforts, with the benefit of the natural sun, thus saving energy. It was off and on until officially passed as the Uniform Time Act in 1966, which still stands. Currently there is debate if it should be eliminated as the thinking is it does more harm than good, throwing peoples internal time clocks and mental health off. 

     Whatever it is, they say today is the day, as in the fall when we "fall back", to change the smoke and carbon detector batteries, although most these days have 10 year batteries. For me it means early light, more early fishing time, and darkness when it's time to hit the rack. 

     Today was a Monmouth County day for me. stopped by Leif's to pick up my repaired (by him) H2 11wt and drop off my H2 10 wt, the one Orvis said had "spent a lot of time under salt water". He makes his own rods so he's going to sand it down and put some epoxy type love on the spots where the graphite is showing through the finish. 

     

     I didn't want to but I stopped by Pullman to check on Pallone's beach replenishment project for his oceanfront buds he has in Elberon and West End. They are just at Garfield, in the picture above to the right, and have built a road down to below Lake Tackanassee for machinery access. Soon all of that will be covered. Remember how good it was down there last year after it took years to recover from Frank's last sand drop? The summer fluke? The late fall blitzes? Stupid. Dumb. Idiotic. Enjoy Frank's voters. 

     Then it was off to the Little Silver train station to pop in on my barista son Sean followed by a quick visit from "I think I'm going away to college (delusional) nurse in the making daughter Erin". We were going with the smarter choice of community college for her RN degree and entry into practice, but the four-year school forces are getting int he way of that. Before I hit my sister's house in Middletown I 

made a stop, to finally fish. The wind was cranking out front but in the back not so bad. Gulls fighting over and gorging themselves on perfect sized bunker and a good outgoing tide made me hopeful. The 

bait's there, and that is the first seen-with-my-own-eyes bunker of the year. The smell of menhaden permeated the air, it's just a matter of time before that river goes nuts. I fished for about 45 minutes making some nice long casts with a larger bunker fly that looked sweet enough to eat. Not a tap. 

     After a visit to see my niece and nephew I stopped by the Raritan Bay. Didn't look bad, although I nearly got blown down by the wind as I stood there trying to avoid side stepping into some soft sand. No bird play mid-bay but the water was holding up with all the weather we've had lately. Water temps at Keansburg have dropped to 40 degrees from a peak of 50 on March 6th. 

     And then, like I need it, was a stop at Dixie Lee bakery in Keansburg. If you ever want the best rolls for a buttered roll, they'll do it for you there too, then make the trip to the 'Burg. These eat-them-today 

round rolls are the best and come without or without seeds. don't eat one of these if you're taking your required piss test at work because you will surely be accused of being on coke and will fail. And, you have to eat the seeded ones over a plate or you'll be finding poppies for the next 6 months. And of course I had to swallow a Black and White on my way over to see my Aunt. I could have backed it up, and may have, if I inhaled it in the parking lot, but I was blocks away and I could only think of me trying to squeeze into sausage skin waders in the next few weeks. 


     And then the best part of the day was surprising my Aunt Cookie over at Bayside Manor. I hadn't seen her in a bit so it was nice to visit, catch up, and of course talk about good old Keansburg. My family has a deep connection and history in Keansburg. My grandparents used to drag their kids down from 24th street in Manhattan starting in the 1940's and eventually relocated. So we reminisced about the great family parties, the boardwalk, and all of the landmarks in town, most of which are all gone. Things such as Crystal Pool, Balbachs, the Flamingo, Nappy's, the old CBS, the Wagon Wheel, Miami Club, the bowling alley above Bev and Wally's Arcade, the Keelan's- and all of their bars, the Colonial Theatre, the Belvedere Pool and Roller Rink, and the Beachview Rest Home. That was a nursing home that caught fire in 1981, killing 31 people, including three of our relatives. 


     Not only did I get to see my Aunt but also my cousin Rossie as well. We also reminisced about Keansburg, but we got to talkin' fishing. He was one of my early fishing partners always taking whenever I was in town to fish Waackaak Creek, Natco Lake and the Raritan Bay. I have fond memories of us walking from Fox Avenue to Charles Avenue where a guy had a make-shift tackle store behind his modest home. There, you could find one of those old white refrigerators with the pull aluminum pull handle, and inside dental cups of spearing for $.25 a cup. He mentioned the the guys name yesterday and I can't for my life remember it. Good visit, good memories, and good times.

I wish we could go back in time...