Thursday, April 28, 2022

04.28.22 Been busy with some good fishing....

     Been fishing since, well March 1st, but have been really hitting it hard when I can since last Saturday. I got some good stories to tell which I will do when things are over and I have moved on to the next bite. Driving to fish, especially in my diesel truck, sucks, and even more so when the price of fuel is over $5.00 a gallon. Plus there's the time, and the tides, and then, most times the drive of shame back home. But every now and then you hit pay dirt.

      Fish have all been over 38 inches and healthy and a challenge on the fly rod. I continue to be amazed by these fish. While for some the big picture may be hard to see with all the fish around New Jersey this spring, don't be fooled. The bigger picture is not good. While we are thankful that fish over 38" aren't being killed, the 28-38" fish are being harvested at a rate that isn't sustainable, and won't fare well for a breeding class in a few years after the big girls that we are now seeing start to die off. It's like removing all current 5th and 6th graders from middle school and then wondering why no-one is at high school graduation in 6-7 years. 

     I can't wait to share, kind of, my recent trips and the ups and downs that I have experienced. Soon it will be time to hit the beach, and I have a feeling that what we have been seeing in the bays and rivers will happen along the shore. I have heard of good catches in the Delaware River and in South Jersey and the migration north of the Chesapeake strain will add to opportunities for the fly rodders who call the sand and groins home. Think big flies for big bass.