Tuesday, April 5, 2022

04.05.22 What's up with this weather? And saw a good one caught....



     Got back today from a turn and burn 3 day visit with Mom down in Florida where the temps were in the 70's and 80's. Getting off the plane at 0830 am and the air was a brisk 41. I thought, well hoped, there would be some warm up while we were gone. Not only did the weather stay the same the river 
     


remains cold at 46 degrees. This time last year we were 10 degrees warmer and catching nice fish. Hit it today at dead low and then high into the flip. Not a touch, but I did watch a guy trolling a Bomber or something catch a 20 something pound bass. That didn't help with the morale, or the clock, as it made me stay another 45 minutes for nothing. I broke out the Squimpish fly and boy does it swim nicely. 


     The Raritan Bay is on fire, but to be honest, I'm kinda done with the reports and the pictures. I can't get to jazzed up thinking of a ton of boats using electronics sitting over marks, and duh, catching fish. I'm not jealous, or jaded, there's just something not exciting about it. I think I would be more impressed if the success rate on these trips was 25%- "Hard to find them" Had to work for them" "It sucked".....but its many, many fish.....eating what's put in front of them. Fly fishing only and catch and release only in the Raritan Bay March 1st- June 31st...how about that ASMFC?