Friday, April 15, 2022

04.15.22 A day of bass, largemouth version....


     Lucky to have been able to fish a bit today. 4 am alarm went off and it was time to check some rivers. Pick Moon is tonight so I expected the bite to be good, not only wasn't it good, I couldn't find one. There is one thing I am learning about true river night time fly fishing.....they don't really go together, maybe top water, or something with a wake, but straight flies in big water....so far, a waste of time. I'll go with that until I catch a big fish and hopefully you'll forget my statement. 

     At 7 am I was rolling into spot 2, one I have been scooting out a lot and today I had the perfect tide, or so I thought. It is actually 1-1/2 hours later until the true flip and besides one grab I had nothing to show for four hours of blowing out my arm. It wa then a rush to get back home to take care of some

things, but of course I have to pass the Delaware on the way. Full moon high tide plus the bump from last weeks rain and I was pinned to the woods and had to make some inventful casts, but they worked. While I have been hoping for a big bass, the specimen below is just a really pretty crisp and clean river fish. It fell to a sweet Squimpish herring fly I tied that really looked good in the water. Herring, we have herring, and the cormorants are having a field day. Its cool to see them come up with a silver fish in 

their beak. It was then largemouth time. Same cast, same spot over about an hour produced three fish, one a pregnant heifer, one that looked like a peacock bass, and one that photographed wet and well. Lucky to get into some fish, interesting with last nights walleye and todays largemouths.