Friday, April 26, 2024

04.26.24 Ready, set, Lowe...


     Yesterday Delaware Joe came over and spent a good part of the day helping get the sled ready for the water. Some would say that I'm late to the party but I'm okay with that. I don't want to fish big water, I'm not really looking for big fish, and I prefer to fish on foot rather from a boat. I know boats usually have an advantage but I don't mind them having the advantage every now and again. 

    I started the day at the Trenton Motor Vehicles getting the boat and trailer all legated up. I'm good through May 2025. In between the DMV stop, which always gives me flashbacks to when Covid was 


around, I took a drive and fished a bit before picking up Joe. I had five hits, had a fish on, lost three flies, and made various fly changes trying to figure out what they wanted. Just as I was ready to tip my hat to 



to the fish for the day I went tight. It was a great fish in faster water and it took a little skill in turning it where I wanted before bringing it to hand. With a single barbless hook constant pressure on the fish is 


needed because if they hit the right soft water and gives a head shake it's easy for it to become unbuttoned. After picking up Joe we stopped to buy a new battery and get some starter fluid to give the Johnson jet drive a boost.

     On our way back we came upon an accident in front of Old School Customs in Ewing. It's a mix of skate and tackle shop that has been picking up steam in their now second year. A quick look at the license plate and I could see it was white in color. A couple of the Maryland boys must have made the trip up as the Chesapeake waters are now closed for striped bass fishing. The shut down of one water, or a spot, just increases the pressure in another. Unfortunately the truck got hit on the passenger side rear 


wheel and blew it out and no doubtedly did damage to the rim and or axle. That's a low tow back down to Maryland and surely the end of any fishing plans they had. Things like that just suck. 

     And while Joe and I were tinkering with the boat the UPS man came up the driveway. He delivered a box for me and when I went to get in from him he just said, "Orvis". I knew exactly what it was. In February I ordered a new stripping basket because the one I had I had drilled out for fishing the jetties and or during a downpour. These baskets, I think, are the best. They will out live you, as I guess most 


will. These are solid, have a get contour, have a great belt that wide enough so it's not like dental floss up the crack of your arse, and can be drilled out to let water drain. If you are doing mostly walk and wade fishing, and only have one, I wouldn't drill it out. The water will fill your basket and get in the way of your line as you try and cast. It's like not having a basket at all. The water tension on the line makes stripping it difficult. And if you are using a sinking line once that line finds outside the basket it's down around your feet and a tangled mess.