Wednesday, April 24, 2024

04.24.24 Saw my first spawning striped bass....


      It was on my Bucket List. I wanted to see striped bass spawning in the Delaware River. Well, today I found it. I was in a slow section of the river throwing flies into water that was less than exciting. No bait. No bass. Just dead.

     Then in the middle of the river I saw a splash. I thought maybe it was a cormorant diving underneath looking for a meal. Or maybe it was one of the ducks that I see from time to time. Maybe it was a goose. Then the water erupted with several fish creating what looked like a blitz for about a minute to a minute and a half. They were definitely smaller fish harassing a larger fish. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. By the time I watched it and got my phone out it was over. Besides it was in the middle of the river and too far away to catch on my phone. Very cool. Check that off my list. 

     A few years back I saw the below video of bass spawning in New Brunswick on the Miramichi. I would say I had seen one pod of fish going at it. No where near the numbers in the video.