Friday, April 5, 2024

04.05.24 Things are on hold for most of us....


     I can't tell you how many times I used the words Yoo-hoo or chocolate milk to describe various waters that have be blown out due to rain. It has occurred on the Upper Delaware for trout, the lower Delaware near me, and the salty bays and rivers. Generally when I see this I'm done. Now sometimes it's fun floating and streamer fishing when it's on its way up but it usually takes time on the flip side to recede and clean up a bit. And there's that fine line between off-color and unfishable, but the fish do eat when it's kinda off. 

     I saw the above report yesterday on Facebook from Capt. Derek of Fisher Price IV Sportfishing. He got some sports out yesterday in the Yoo-Hoo/chocolate milk water and got them on plugs. So just when I think it's no good, maybe it's not all that bad. Now, there has to be fish there and they have to want to eat, and most importantly you have to get out. 

     And then on the "Huh?" side of things I also saw this post on Facebook, one I can no longer find. It was a video from a guy Mike who said he watched as a large boat passed through the Reach in the Raritan Bay leaving a wake of dead bass. It was interesting and I just took a screen shot so I could remember to watch it, but now that post is gone. 


     I thought that was interesting. Are there that many bass in the Raritan stacked up in the channels that get caught off guard by a passing boat? Mmm. Now I know they stack up, and are maybe not the smartest fish in the sea, but really? Grinded up in a propeller? I have see the screen in the Raritan when


they are stacked so maybe it does happen? Or could it be a bunch of dead bass from the catch and release crowd? Which would most likely come from the boat anglers? I'm going to find out more about this. 

     And then in the, "It what it is" category. Big boats, big boys catching big bass, causing big blood loss. The deck looks like they are coming back from a tuna trip and if you look you can follow the 


80- pound mono all the way down to the bass' small intestine. After it "swims away strong" I wouldn't doubt if it's not swimming with the fishes with the rest of the floaters in Raritan Bay.