Wednesday, April 24, 2024

04.23.24 Full Pink Moon fever....


     I was lucky yo get this one in. A strong 42" fish in big current. Surprisingly the bigger fish have moved upriver and this one was a shocker because I was scouting a new spot. It's taken a while for me to get in there because of the river levels. This was caught on a half-ass fly and a hook that wanted to go straight. The fly had all kinds of mechanical flaws going on. Mostly because I casted it about 1,000 times without every checking. Pinged off of rocks, dragged along the bottom, ripped through the current. You can see below what went wrong while going right. The fly was tied on an


AHREX SA210 Bob Clouser Signature Streamer 4/0. I can't imagine what would have happened if this fish were a few years ago when the Partridge hooks were all the rage. Luckily my bud Mark had a stash of Popovic's hooks that he could throw me until I can order some more. It's funny, they talk about catching 100 pound tarpon in Florida on size 1 hooks during a worm hatch but striped bass in current can straighten out 4/0's. Back to the vice. 

    They say you never should fish on the full moons. Well this fish ate at 0711 AM on the Pink Moon. It's like "Winds from the south fish shut their mouths". I guess I fish just has to eat and only has so many opportunities during the day depending on the tides, winds, and bait. This one was looking for breakfast.