Friday, December 30, 2022

12.30.22 I might have found the answer....


      I may have found the answer for my quest in the best wading staff for me. I could be like the cool kids, well old men and women, and just hit click and order one of those fancy and expensive models. But I did my homework and not only found a possible solution, but a great fly fishing blog as well.

     Domenik Swentosky founded Troutbitten, HERE, in 2014. He is from Central PA and fishes the Penns Creek, Little J, and Spring and Fishing Creeks. Not only does he run the site/blog/podcast and You Tube channels, he also guides on those rivers. If you're a trout guy this is a great, I mean really great site. 

     I have enjoyed watching the monthly ratings about the Top 100 Fly Fishing Blogs (worldwide) flucuate month to month. There's some big guns up at the top and I've discussed how a lot of that content is not orignal to the poster, but linked to another source. And sometimes the bigguns link the same content to each of their own pages. I am sure the online blogger/content poster at each company is reviewed on how many posts they post, irregardless of where the content is generated or linked from. 

     You see, content, no matter where is comes from, (begged, borrowed, or stolen), drives readers which means clicks which means higher ratings and hopefully generates more income. What I have

also come to learn is the importance of social media and business. I knew it, but I really didn't understadn it. SEO, RSS, and stuff over my head means something. Take for instance MidCurrent, ranked #1 in fly fishing blogs to follow in 2023. Just look at the sheer numbers of followers,



Facebook nearly 18,000, Twitter 18,000, and Instagram 11,500 followers. That means a lot of clicks each day, which probably leads to revenue, and their #1 ranking. So when I look at Troutbitten, again worlds apart from my blog, he comes in at #20, and he too has a big following. And then 


there's me. Just an average angler who writes about fly fishing, mostly salt water, and mostly about striped bass. No other blog details things like nursing, buying trucks, home projects, the kids, the holidays, sinking various boats, and being cash strapped at time. But maybe that's my jam. If you 


look at my numbers, there is no Twitter, Instagram, or You Tube, just 41 Facebook followers which is probably, me, Leif, my mom, and maybe some of her friends down in the 55 and over place in Bradenton, Florida. With that, it's amazing I come in at #26 worldwide. Enough about that. I can say I'll never break #20, unless I quit my job and go into full influencer and production mode. I'm good. 


     Swentosky made a post a few years back about wading staffs and I read it and really liked what he said. He came up with a DIY'd set up, which cost him much less than the pre-rigged offerings from the big manufacturers. Now you know me, I'm rough on everything and always find a way to ding it up or snap it in half. I would surely do the same with an over $200 Simms wading staff. You can read his post HERE


     He prefers the staffs made by Trekology, you get two for $42 on Amazon. If you click on the link on his site he gets a little cash. Interestingly, his site is really, really good when it comes to 


monetizing, he offers swag, has a donation buttom, and is linked up with Amazon as a partner. Smart dude. I'm sure clicks on his You Tube Channel also brings in a few dollars as well. 


    He couples his staff to be secured with a Gear Keeper retractor, $24, that he attaches to his wading belt, for me it would hang off my stripping basket belt, something I need to repalce as one of my plastic latches is broken. It's always great having your stripping basket click off and fall to your knees mid cast or when your fishing from the jetties. But that's me of course. 

     Domenik also shares tips on how he customized the set up. If you look at all of the types out there and the reviews there's really not one that satiates all of our wading safely needs. So this really answers the call. And the Trekology, is locking, so no more separation or elongation when you find that mud dump or crevice in the bottom of the river. If you do the math for about $65 you'll have one set up with a staff as a backup. Sounds like a plan to me, so thanks Domenik, and great job over at Troutbitten.